General Education Courses
As a bachelor’s level student, you are required to take about 30 credits of general education courses as part of the 120 credits required for a bachelor’s degree. General education courses are required regardless of your major.
All students take 10.5 to 17 credits in these areas:
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Argumentative and Research Writing
- Introduction to Christian Theology
- Interpersonal Communication
- Introduction to Ethical Reasoning
Healthcare administration majors will take courses covering topics such as:
- Healthcare Information Systems
- Leadership in Ethical Organizations
- Healthcare Law
- Medical Terminology
- Financial and Economic Aspects of Healthcare
- Healthcare Management and Policy
The internship provides practical work experience related to your career goals. Use skills and knowledge learned in your prior healthcare administration courses and apply what you know at an actual business. The internship takes place during these courses, typically during your junior or senior year:
• HCA 397 Health Care Administration Internship
• HCA 497 Health Care Administration Internship
All internships involve planned and supervised on-the-job training with interaction among the student, a faculty advisor, and a supervisor from the site of the internship. Marian University will assist you, if needed, to find an internship site. You are able to complete their internship with their current employer, if you are working at a healthcare facility and have approval of your manager. Choose to complete the 120-hour internship on a part- or full-time basis. Students typically complete the requirements over a few months. Throughout the experience, you will write weekly summaries and then complete a paper at the end.
- Students will possess an integrated knowledge of business functions and systems.
- Students will possess effective written communications skills.
- Students will possess effective oral communications skills.
- Students will know how to effectively apply critical thinking skills to business problems.
- Students will possess an integrated knowledge of healthcare functions and systems.
The Marian University Online Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration program provides an understanding health care’s business side, including medical staff relations, patient care services, finance, policy, planning and development. It empowers students to enter their desired field immediately and positively contribute to the industry as it continues to evolve.
Professional Conduct (Standard for Students)
Faculty and staff in the School of Business expect the highest standards of honest, ethical professional conduct from each of our students. Primary components of professional behavior expected include:
• Respect for others
• Full engagement
• Responsibility and integrity, and
• Commitment to quality
Outcome: Knowledge Acquisition – Business
Measure: Peregrine CPC Comp Exam
Marian Baseline Target = 50 %-ile (51.9% correct)
Marian Stretch Goal = 80%-ile (62.5% correct)
Marian Average achieved = 78%-ile (59.9% correct)
Marian Highest Achieved = 98%-ile (79% correct)
- Almost half of Marian students performed in the top 20 percent nationally (45%).
- In general, students have good knowledge of business concepts as measured by the CPC-Comp.
Outcome: Integrated Knowledge of Business
Measure: CAPSIM Business Simulation
Standard: Balanced Scorecard – Standard = at/above National average (50th %-ile)
Stretch Goal: Balanced Scorecard – Standard = at/above 80th %-ile
Marian Achieved = All teams above average except 1. (Range: 16th to 96th %-ile)
Marian Stretch Goal Achieved: 44% of teams at or above 80%
- 94% of Marian teams achieved results at or above the national average compared with others teams.
- 44% of Marian teams achieved the stretch goal performing at or above the 80th percentile.
- In general, students do well in the simulation, demonstrating integrated knowledge of business.
To be accepted into the Marian University online Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration program, you must:
Have a 2.0 GPA or higher
Complete the application process by clicking here
Submit official transcript(s)