Marian University is dedicated to protecting the private information that you entrust to us. This notice explains the types of information collected and how they are used by Marian University. The processing of personal data is governed by the Privacy Laws – Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”).
THE INFORMATION WE PROCESS ABOUT YOU:
We collect personal information from you directly through processes, forms and third-party entities. We generally collect and use the following categories of data for different groups of people at an institutional level:
- Prospective students: to facilitate admission and provide higher education services, we collect personal and family information related to the application and financial aid process, including supporting documentation, identification and contact information (including but not limited to name, email address, physical address, phone number and other location data); education history, demographic information (e.g., race, gender, and age) as voluntarily shared, testing history, personal information and history (e.g. date of birth, social security number, etc.), employment history and payment information.
- Students: to register, administer financial aid, provide housing, track academic progress, and provide academic advising and other services, we use information submitted as prospective students, information related to academic record and performance, registration data, and video images recorded by our video security system for the purposes of ensuring security, exam-taking integrity, and to protect University property.
- Faculty and staff: to administer an employment relationship with the University, we collect identification, contact information, biographic information, employment and education history, payment and tax information, family and health information related to benefits, and information related to visa requirements (copies of passports and other documents) to ensure compliance with U.S. laws.
- Alumni: to manage their relationship and engagement with the University, we collect identification, contact information, and donor information.
- Donors: to process gifts and manage their relationship and engagement with the University, we collect identification, contact information, gift designations and payment information.
- Website visitors: to compile aggregate data about site traffic and interactions so that we can offer better site experiences, we collect contact information, IP address, browser type, internet service provider, pages visited, operating system, date and time of visit, location information, and other information collected through cookies.
- Campus visitors: to facilitate their visit, we may collect contact information, current academic and school information, interests and activities, and guest information.
- Participants in conferences and other campus events: to register, track payment and participation, we collect identification, contact information and payment information.
Marian University uses third party services to provide and improve web and communication services for our users. These services, like Google Analytics but not limited to, are used to monitor site usage, web traffic, visitor behavior and trends to optimize web services for visitors.
SHARING YOUR DATA WITH THIRD PARTIES
We may share your data with third parties who contract with the University to help administer our operations. We do not allow them to use your data for their own purposes. We permit them to process your data only for specified purposes in accordance with our instructions.
We may also share your personal data with third parties when doing so is necessary to satisfy applicable laws, regulations, legal process or government requests. In addition, information may be shared when required to detect, prevent or address fraud, security or technical issues or when required to protect the rights and the safety of the University, visitors, students and employees.
PURPOSE AND LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING YOUR DATA:
With respect to personal information subject to privacy laws, we follow these lawful bases for processing:
- Marian’s legitimate interests, such as conducting admissions activities
- To provide you with services or to perform contractual obligations, such as processing your application for admission
- For compliance with our legal obligations
- With your consent, when applicable
We have a legitimate interest in retaining and educating qualified students, complying with laws and regulations that govern our conduct in the countries where we operate, and administering Marian and its programs in an efficient, ethical, and appropriate manner. We process all the information we collect from or about you to meet these purposes.
During the period of your enrollment, we may also be required to process your Personal
Information to complete a contract that you have entered with us, including to be admitted to a program, or receive financial aid, housing, or another service from us.
RECIPIENTS OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION:
Your Personal Information will be received and processed by Marian employees and personnel, including third parties who provide services to Marian in connection with the purposes of processing described above. We share your Personal Information with our service providers only when they have agreed to process your Personal Information to provide services to us and have agreed to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized use, access, or disclosure.
We also disclose your information to government authorities as required by laws that regulate immigration, tax, national security, and criminal activity.
We keep data about prospective student applicants and actual applicants for no less than 7 years. If you are accepted to and enroll at Marian, then we retain your data throughout your period of enrollment. Information related to Academic Records is kept indefinitely. We may be required by law to retain your information for a longer period, for example, in order to comply with a subpoena.
You have the right to the following information regarding Marian processing of your Personal Information:
- the purposes of the processing,
- the categories of Personal Information concerned,
- the recipients or categories of recipients to whom the Personal Information have been or will be disclosed,
- where possible, the predicted period for which the Personal Information will be stored, or, if not possible, the criteria used to determine that period.
You also have the following additional rights with respect to your Personal Information:
- The right to request access to the Personal Information that Marian has about you, as well as the right to request rectification of any data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to request a copy of your Personal Information in electronic format so that you can transmit the data to third parties, or to request that Marian directly transfer your Personal Information to one or more third parties.
- The right to object to the processing of your Personal Information for marketing and other purposes.
- The right to erasure of your Personal Information when it is no longer needed for the purposes for which you provided it, as well as the right to restriction of processing of your Personal Information to certain limited purposes where erasure is not possible.
- The right to lodge a complaint where you believe that your rights have been violated.
To the extent applicable under local law, if you want to exercise any of the rights described above or are dissatisfied with the way we have used your information, you may OPT OUT by contacting us as set forth in the Contact Us section below.
Depending on the circumstances and the nature of your request it may not be possible for us to do what you have asked, such as where there is a statutory or contractual requirement for us to process your personal information and it would not be possible to fulfill our legal obligations if we were to stop. Additionally, to protect the personal information we hold, we may also request further information from you to verify your identify when exercising these rights, to help locate your personal data, or to clarify your request.
WE MAY AMEND THIS PRIVACY NOTICE OCCASIONALLY; PLEASE REVIEW IT PERIODICALLY. WE MAINTAIN THE OPTION TO MODIFY THIS NOTICE AT ANY TIME BY ELECTRONIC NOTICE POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE. YOUR CONTINUED USE OF OUR WEBSITE AFTER SUCH NOTICES ARE POSTED WILL BE DEEMED YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE CHANGED TERMS.
You can contact Marian University with any questions about this notice, our data collection practices, or your rights:
45 S National Avenue
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935
Opt Out – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This general notice may be supplemented by additional notices at the point of any data collection. If you have specific questions about any of the data processing activities described in this or any other notice, please contact us at the above address.