Marian University softball (12-12, 7-5 NACC) earned a big sweep defeating Lakeland in a pair of 4-3 games.
- The Muskies were able to score a pair of runs in the third inning to go ahead 2-0.
- Junior Katelyn Matenaer immediately tied the game in the next half inning driving in two runs with a double.
- Lakeland answered just as fast taking a 3-2 lead in the fourth.
- Matenear then tied the game with another double in the fifth.
- A safety squeeze with nobody out in the bottom of the seventh saw senior Kaley Ludvigsen bring in freshman Abigail Schreiber for the walk-off win.
- Another pitching battle saw both offenses start slow.
- Marian was able to put together a two-out rally in the third to jump ahead 3-0.
- Ludvigsen and sophomore Kerena Wood each drove in runs in the inning.
- Lakeland cut the deficit to one scoring a run in the fourth and fifth.
- A first-and-third double steal saw Schreiber add an insurance run for the Sabres in the sixth to go ahead 4-2.
- That insurance run proved valuable as Lakeland loaded the bases with nobody out.
- A sacrifice-fly double play saw Lakeland score one run but senior Julia Corona was able to fire a strike to third to complete a double play.
- The crucial double play set the stage for a flyout to center field to end the game.