General Education Courses
As a bachelor’s level student, you are required to take about 30 credits of general education courses as part of the 120 credits required for a bachelor’s degree. Gen eds are required regardless of your major.
All students take 10.5 to 17 credits in these areas:
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Argumentative and Research Writing
- Introduction to Christian Theology
- Interpersonal Communication
- Introduction to Ethical Reasoning
- First Year Studies
Exercise and sports science majors will take courses covering topics such as:
- Nutrition and metabolism
- Exercise prescription
- Health, exercise, and sport assessment
- Prevention, care, and treatment of athletic injuries
- Apply knowledge of physiological, biomechanical, age, and gender differences that influence exercise physiology and exercise testing in practice.
- Incorporate evidence-based practice research into clinical decision making.
- Translate ethical issues into responsible actions in the exercise and sport science field.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills that is sensitive to all clients.
- Create/modify programs to address special client population and individual needs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current technologies and their application in exercise science.
- Model professional conduct and behavior.
Exercise and Sport Science (ESS) is a fast-growing field with many exciting professional opportunities. Individuals in the field, work to promote physical activity and/or enhance performance in sport. Careers within the field include strength and conditioning coach, wellness director, and exercise physiologist. The BS in Exercise and Sport Science program is designed to provide students with the foundational knowledge, skills, and abilities related to the physical, social, and psychological components of exercise and sport. Graduates will be able to apply these attributes to a number of potential careers, as well as graduate programs in ESS fields such as athletic training, sport and exercise psychology, and physical therapy.
The Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sport Science program is designed to offer you the best possible preparation for careers in fitness, sport, and wellness. As a graduate of the program, you will be prepared for a fulfilling career in a wide range of settings in both the private and public sectors, in a field that the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects will grow nearly 20 percent over the next five years.
Exercise and Sport Science students have completed internships at sites across Fond du Lac and the Fox Valley. Examples include:
At Marian University, care and compassion for others is at the heart of our legacy, especially in the sciences. You’ll find faculty who bring experience and a strong passion for a personal teaching experience that’s hard to match. With more than 100 years of educating future healthcare professionals, you’ll find that employers throughout the region look to Marian for health and wellness professionals who are inspired to succeed.
Students in the Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sport Science program are required to complete all course work with a 2.0 GPA average.