Reference and Research Services
The mission of Reference Services is to ensure the effective use of library resources. This is accomplished in a variety of ways including personal assistance at the library Reference Desk, assistance via email, classroom instruction on the main campus and at outreach sites, and through the provision of guides and tutorials.
Reference Desk Hours
Normal reference desk hours during the academic year are Mon-Wed: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m., Thurs: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Fri: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and Sun: 3 p.m. – 7 p.m. Hours during summer, holidays, and break periods will vary, so be sure to check the library website or My Marian for hours during those periods. For assistance after hours, use one of the other contact methods listed below.
If you need information and are not sure where to begin, contact the Reference Desk.
- If you are in the library, ask at the Reference Desk.
- From off campus, call 920.923.8096, email the reference desk at email@example.com, submit the online Ask A Reference Librarian form, or log into Marian Online 2 and enter the Marian Library link on the lower left to enter the Library Tutorials course and use the Ask a Reference Librarian Chat feature, available during normal reference desk hours. For details on how to access the chat feature, visit the Chat with a Librarian page.
Guides and Tutorials
The following guides are available via the library Web page:
Subject specific tutorials are available via Marian Online 2. Your username is the first part of your Marian University email address — i.e. everything before “@marianuniversity.edu.” Your password is your Marian University email password.
Course-specific instruction on the use of library resources is available on the main campus and at outreach sites. Sessions should be scheduled at least one week in advance.
- Call the Reference Desk at 920.923.8096.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a Library Instruction Request form.
For more information about library instruction and for tips regarding library research assignments, see the Library Instruction and Information for Faculty page.
Tours are available throughout the year. To schedule a tour contact the Reference Desk.
The Association of College and Research Libraries defines Information Literacy as a “set of abilities requiring individuals to recognize when information is needed and have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information.” Information Literacy includes the ability to retrieve information as well as think critically about and evaluate information.
For further information on Information Literacy in Higher Education, follow the links below:
- Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education (American Library Association)