|Position Title: ||Groundskeeper |
|FTE: ||1.0 |
|Department: ||Facilities |
|Reports To: ||Lead Groundskeeper |
|FLSA: ||Non-Exempt |
| || |
This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, landscaping or maintaining grounds of property using hand or power tools or equipment. Work typically consists of a variety of tasks; examples include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, edging, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, raking, irrigation, sweeping of parking lots and sidewalks, snow and ice management, and sports field setup and maintenance.
- Mows lawns and trims grass around walk areas, flower beds, trees and walls.
- Prunes shrubs and trees, at the direction of the immediate Supervisor, to shape and improve growth.
- Removes fallen or damaged leaves, branches, and twigs using mowers, tractors and other hand and power tools.
- Lays out and maintains flower beds, mulch beds, or other decorative vegetation.
- Maintains and sharpens tools and makes minor repairs on equipment, as needed.
- Plants, fertilizes, waters and uses weed and insect control products at the direction of the immediate Supervisor to maintain grass, flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Removes snow and ice from walk areas, roads and driveways, utilizing hand tools, machines or vehicles.
- Spreads salt, picks up litter, rakes, and removes debris from hard surfaces.
- Cleans drainage ditches and culverts, including, but not limited to the filling of potholes and the sweeping of accumulated debris along curb lines.
- Maintains driveways and parking lots.
- Repairs fences, gates, walls, irrigation systems, walks and outbuildings using carpentry, masonry and painting tools.
- May perform marking and maintenance of sports fields.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance on gardening and grounds equipment.
- May operate trucks and assorted power equipment, such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws.
- May participate in the setup and tear-down of event furniture, such as tables, chairs and tents.
- May participate in the movement of furniture, supplies and material.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
Other Responsibilities – 5%
- Performs other work related duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and SKILLS REQUIRED:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- 1 to 2 years of related work experience.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity in accordance with Marian’s attendance policy.
- Possess valid driver’s license if assigned to drive a vehicle.
- Ability to present self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all co-workers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- Ability to use all relevant electronic and communication devices.
- Adapts procedures, processes, tools equipment and techniques to accomplish the requirements of the position.
- Ability to effectively communicate policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by fellow employees.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to email@example.com. Please use “Groundskeeper,” in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: September 10, 2021
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.