Financial Aid Counselor
POSITION TITLE: Financial Aid Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Financial Aid
REPORTS TO: Director of Financial Aid
This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, serving prospective and current students, and their families by providing financial and related services ranging from education about the financial aid process to awarding various aid programs to financial literacy management.
- Serves as a member of the Office of Financial Aid
- Assists with customer services as initial contact for telephone or walk-in inquiries. Handles routine inquires and/or routes to appropriate staff if necessary
- Advises and assists prospective and continuing students, and parents with financial aid application procedures and MyFinancial Aid
- Completes financial aid packaging for qualified applicants by making decisions in accordance with federal, state, institutional, and other policies and procedures
- Provides counseling and advising to prospective and current students and parents on the availability, process and types of financial aid
- Communicates effectively with Enrollment Services members to meet department goals
- Participates in all aspects of the financial aid award packaging process
- Operates the Federal Work Study program as a part of financial aid packaging
- Supervise Financial Aid Office student workers, including hiring, scheduling, training, and coaching
- Conducts verification of freshman and transfer students, new, and current.
- Certifies alternative loans for Marian University students
- Administer state programs to include WTG, TIP, WI Minority Retention Grant, Covenant Grants, WI Hearing & Visually Impaired Handicap Grant, WI Indian Grant, GEAR UP grant, WI Academic Excellence Scholarship to include reporting requirements to HEAB and DPI for all state programs.
- Award Working Family Grant (WFG) students and serve as an office liaison to the WFG Office
- Administer federal and state Native American tribal grants, working with all tribal education offices and HEAB
- Maintains a working knowledge of financial aid regulations and PowerFAIDS
- Oversee and assist with administration of outside, institutional, and endowed scholarship programs; offer advisement to Advancement on scholarship criteria for contracts with donors
- Work with the University’s Veteran Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office and Business Office to determine Veteran education benefits, and counsel Veteran students about their financial aid options
- Administer processing of financial aid for Study Abroad program and Tuition Award Certificates
- Recommends changes to the Counselor Procedure Manual and provides training to staff in areas of responsibility
- Responsible for tracking community service budget for Federal Work Study for the University
- Serve as liaison with third party America Reads tutoring sites and ensure annual contracts are signed and on file as needed
- Track and reconcile all Federal Work Study student payments in PowerFAIDS software system
- Maintains a positive work environment by cooperating in a professional manner with the University community
- Performs other work related duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree required and experience in college admission and/or financial aid; or any satisfactory combination or experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Strong oral and written communication, interpersonal, organizational, planning and time management skills
- Knowledge of federal Title IV and state financial aid regulations
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours to accommodate student needs
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and register with the University as an authorized driver
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Office and Web tools essential; financial aid software familiarity desired
- Ethical comportment and high regard for confidentiality and security of all student information and records
- Ability to work with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students to develop strong relationships with colleagues, staff, administrators, students, and the general public
- Flexibility with an evolving work situation
- Willingness to support the Mission and Core Values of the University
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use ‘Financial Aid Counselor’ in the subject line of the email.
Amended Application Deadline: June 15, 2020
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.