Financial Aid Counselor (1)
POSITION TITLE: Financial Aid Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Financial Aid
REPORTS TO: Director of Financial Aid
This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, providing support to both the Financial Aid Office and the Office of Admission by processing financial aid and meeting with prospective and current students and parents to educate them on the financial aid processes in an effort to recruit and retain qualified students.
- Counsels and builds relationship with prospective and current students and families by assisting with the financial aid application procedure and need analysis through multiple modalities (text, phone, in-person, email, and mail).
- Provides counseling and advising to prospective and current students and parents on the availability, process and types of financial aid.
Financial Aid Program Management 65%:
- Maintains a working knowledge of financial need analysis and award systems; awards financial aid to new and continuing students in accordance with federal, state, institutional, and other policies and procedures.
- Conducts verification for freshman and transfer students, new and current.
- Maintains a working knowledge of financial aid regulations and PowerFAIDS.
- Administer state programs to include WTG, TIP, WI Minority Retention Grant, Covenant Grants, WI Hearing & Visually Impaired Handicap Grant, WI Indian Grant, GEAR UP grant, WI Academic Excellence Scholarship to include reporting requirements to HEAB and DPI for all state programs.
- Awards Working Family Grant (WFG) students and serves as an office liaison to the WFG office.
- Administer federal and state Native American tribal grants, working with all tribal education offices and HEAB.
- Oversee and assist with administration of outside, institutional, annual and endowed scholarship programs; offer advisement to Advancement on scholarship criteria for contracts with donors.
- Work with the University’s Veteran Certifying official in the Registrar’s Office and business office to determine Veteran education benefits; and counsel Veteran students about their financial aid options.
- Administer processing of financial aid for Study Abroad program and Tuition Award Certificates.
- Recommends changes to the Counselor Procedure Manual and provides training to staff in areas of responsibility.
- Maintains confidentiality and security in regard to all information and records.
- Maintains a positive work environment by cooperating in a professional manner with the University community.
- Work to continuously improve data-sharing between the Office of Business and Finance and Office of Financial Aid to best serve the needs of the student population.
- Represent the office of Financial Aid on-campus events such as individual registrations, campus tours, open houses, New Student Registrations, and payment solutions presentations.
Other Responsibility: 5%
- Performs other work-related duties as necessary or as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience in a college admission and/or financial aid work environment.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ethical comportment and high regard for confidentiality.
- Willingly support the Mission and Core Values of the University.
Education, Experience, and Skills Preferred:
- Master’s degree.
- Bilingual, Spanish-speaking.
- Prior Power Campus and Power FAIDS experience
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use ‘Financial Aid Counselor – 1’ in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.