Position Title: Chef Manager
Department: Food Service
Reports To: Vice President of Finance & Chief Business Officer
This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, producing food for the student meal plan, responsible for retail operations, production, purchasing, inventory, budget, and program array.
- Prepare food according to standardized recipes.
- Responsible to produce menus for specialty diets.
- Responsible for conducting annual audits with county health department.
- Control portion sizes through the proper measuring and weighing of ingredients.
- Ensure food safety, sanitation, and workplace safety enforcement. Adhere to HAACP standards and regulations, county guidelines, hot and cold food temperature holdings, etc.
- Store and rotate food inventory according to state and federal guidelines regarding safe food handling practices.
- Record and maintain daily food usage records.
- Delegate food preparation, cooking duties, and general cleaning duties of dishes and kitchen equipment to Prep Cooks, Kitchen Assistants, and Student Employees.
- Responsible for catering services (planning menus, equipment, food, and service preparations). Ability to plan, manage, and execute both on and offsite caterings.
- Direct, mentor and monitor job expectations, performance evaluations and output of the Assistant Manager, Evening Supervisor, Cooks, Dishwashers, Checkers, and Student Workers.
- Observe and research changes and trends in food services industry bringing timely updates to residential dining operations. Assist in the development and execution of Dining Services Strategic planning process. Support, research and assist in training and implementation of any Dining Services major initiatives.
- Oversight on all production and central commissary operations, meal plan menu cycle development processes and menu satisfaction.
- Coordinate any contracts with food service suppliers, waste management, or any other vendors.
- Oversee and manage all dining service units’ budgets which includes managing operations to keep all food and labor costs in line with budgeted projections as set through the annual budget process.
- Hire, train, evaluate, discipline, and develop all department direct reports.
- Research, develop, monitor and guide dining green and sustainable initiatives.
- Develop, monitor, and adjust all dining service policies with an emphasis on implementing and employing lean/continuous improvement strategies and systems into all aspects of the workplace.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Formal culinary training / culinary degree or a minimum of 3 – 5 years of experience in food service in a residential dining setting.
- ServSafe certification required.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Knowledgeable about specialty diets and allergen needs.
- Ability to interact professionally with coworkers and customers, particularly in conflict situations.
- Ability to talk politely and resolve customer service issues.
- Ability to multitask, meet specific deadlines, and prioritize tasks and assignments.
- Ability to follow recipes.
- Skilled in basic math computations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and decisions in an expeditious manner.
- Skilled at setting a good example for others.
- Ability to concentrate and focus in a noisy environment.
- Ability to cook large quantities of food.
- Knowledge of computer programs (Microsoft Office, Google Apps) and ability to learn upgrades and new programs as needed.
- Skilled at organizing events, programs, projects and see them through to completion.
- Willingness to support the mission and core values of the University.
Education, Experience, and Skills Preferred:
- At least 4 years of experience as a supervisor.
- At least 5 years of experience in the Food Service industry.
- Completion of food service sanitation courses.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to email@example.com. Please use ‘Chef Manager’ in the subject line of the email.
To assure full consideration, applications should be received by April 8, 2021. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.