Student Learning Outcomes
- Effective Communication: Writers will effectively organize discussion, support ideas, and use standard conventions in all learning contexts to express themselves clearly in writing.
- Organization: Student ideas are expressed in a well-organized manner, and papers exhibit sophistication in structure, such as the capacity for making choices about organization that are informed in part by the content.
- Support: Author ideas are very well supported through examples, quotes, statistics, etc.
- Grammatical Conventions: Writers observe the grammatical conventions of standard written English and exhibit sophistication in diction and sentence structure.
- Critical Thinking: Develop logical, well-supported conclusions.
- Linking evidence (support, data, information) and conclusion (inference) by the student is clear, present, and follows logically.
The Marian University Bachelor of Arts in Writing program provides opportunities for students to become critical readers, writers, and thinkers by asking them to write in a variety of genres and to analyze literature from a diversity of cultures, contexts, and perspectives.
Graduates of the BA in Writing program stay one step ahead of the competition and are equipped with the essential skills that ensure success in the working world. A Writing degree prepares students for a variety of career possibilities, including positions in advertising, business, education, law, ministry, public relations, publishing, writing, and social justice work. Many graduates also go on to graduate school.
To help students become critical readers, writers, and thinkers, the Bachelor of Arts in Writing program assesses knowledge acquisition, effective communication, and critical thinking in ways that are essential to the broader liberal arts education Marian University provides. The Marian University Bachelor of Arts in Writing program demonstrates its effectiveness in the areas of learning outcomes, quality assurance, capstone assessments, employment, graduate education, academic rigor, and teaching excellence.
- Learning Outcomes: In 2014-2015, students in courses offered in the English Program demonstrated the following learning outcomes:
- Knowledge Acquisition: 93% of students met or exceeded expectations
- Effective Communication: 83% of students met or exceeded expectations
- Critical Thinking: 86% of students met or exceeded expectations
- Quality Assurance: The English Program ensures common standards across multiple courses by establishing shared criteria between instructors through normed assessment.
- Capstone Assessments: To help students transition into their profession the English Program is developing and assessing major courses like Introduction to Literary Study, Advanced Study of Grammar, Internship, and the English Research Capstone.
- Employment: 100% of graduates are employed within six months of graduation from the English Program.
- Graduate Education: 100% of graduates who elected to pursue an advanced degree were accepted into a graduate school within six months of graduation from the English Program.
Hear what students and faculty have to say about the opportunities awaiting you in our English program!
At Marian University, students find committed faculty and staff aiming to help them reach their fullest potential. Through an applied learning approach, students find that the Bachelor of Arts in Writing program prepares them to share their passion for creativity and expression through writing.
Admission to university per university standards. For more details regarding this, view Marian’s Academic Bulletin.