Assistant Professor, Criminal Justice
POSITION: Full-Time Faculty — Assistant Professor
COLLEGE: College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters
PROGRAM: Criminal Justice
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
Marian University is a Catholic applied liberal arts community that values diverse spiritual traditions. Sponsored by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Agnes, Marian University engages students in the education of the whole person. We embrace justice and compassion to transform lives for professional service and leadership in the global community.
Marian University invites applicants for the position of Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice, starting August 15, 2020. Successful candidates will have a strong commitment to undergraduate education, student engagement and research, as well as service to the college and
community. Marian University is an institution that values innovative teaching, advising and mentoring. All faculty participate in advising and mentoring, with other related duties as assigned.
Teaching responsibilities include four courses each semester, as well as contributing to our graduate, adult accelerated and online programs, as demand requires. Candidates should exhibit skill and enthusiasm in teaching undergraduates and developing innovative experiential learning opportunities in the surrounding community and be willing to participate in all phases of program, departmental, college, and university activities.
Candidates must hold a minimum of a Master’s in Criminal Justice, Criminology, or a related field; terminal degree in the discipline is preferred.
The chosen candidate will be responsible for teaching both online and on-campus courses, student advising, and University committee service. The University seeks candidates who have a passion for their discipline and who can successfully invite students to engage in that same love.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the potential to engage in scholarly and professional activity that that supports the teaching mission of the institution. All candidates must have authorization to work in the United States.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Doctorate in Criminology, Criminal Justice or a related field
- Professional work experience in the field is a plus
- Experience in forensic science, crime scene investigation, and/or homeland security
- Experience in online learning
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate criminal justice courses in online, hybrid and on-
campus modes. Examples include Introduction to Criminal Justice, Criminal Law, Juvenile Law, Corrections, Constitutional Law, Principles of Judicial Practice, Rules of Evidence, Criminal Procedure, and Crimes Against Children.
- Involvement in active scholarship.
- Engage in professional or academic activities in campus-based, local, regional or broader communities in an effort to make a positive impact and advance the recognition and reputation of Marian University.
- Actively engages in developing and maintaining industry relationships to enhance internship and placement opportunities for our students.
- Actively participate in on-campus and off-campus research seminars and other collaborative professional development activities to build collaborations between and among Marian University faculty and external partners.
- Be actively involved in student advising and mentoring, assessment and assurance of learning, curriculum design and revision, as well as committee service at all levels of the Institute.
- Assist post-graduate relationship, networks, and establishment of external industry relations to promote programs to industry employers, secure ongoing placement channels and initiate industry collaborations for joint research projects.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned
Willingness to support the mission and core values of the University required.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, a curriculum vita, a statement of teaching philosophy, unofficial copies of transcripts, and three letters of recommendation to email@example.com. Please place “Assistant Professor – Criminal Justice” in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment