After a successful ground breaking (10.17.17) with Dr. Richard & Leslie Ridenour, the office moves have begun to clear the science building for the renovation at the beginning of the year!
Overview of the upcoming moves:
- IT staff and Help Desk will move to the Library
- Office moves within Regina will happen in the next two weeks
- Some Graduate Education Faculty will move their offices to the Appleton Center within the week
- Math & Natural Science faculty will move to Regina in November & December
- VP Stacey Akey and Alumni Director Grant Monroe are moving to 74 S. National
- Excess equipment/supplies to be moved and stored professionally during construction at the end of December.
Please note – parking is restricted in the HSC south lot to accommodate the steel delivery later this week- through next week. If you have any empty boxes or crates to donate to the science building, please drop off in east or west stairwells.
Any furniture deemed not being able to be repurposed will be offered to the Marian community (details to follow).
November 20, 2017
Tremendous progress happening on the Dr. Richard and Leslie Ridenour Science Center!
- Steel delivery and walls being built
- Sub flooring
- Faculty and staff temporary office relocation
- Physical inventory of furniture and fixtures
- Site restoration on the west side of the build site
Stay tuned for more updates!
December 4, 2017
CD Smith Construction, Inc. is the builder on our Dr. Richard and Leslie Ridenour Science Center. They have been taking some drone footage of the renovation. You can see it all at this link: https://vimeopro.com/user67919802/science-center-expansion (All contents of this webpage are the sole possession of CD Smith Construction, Inc.)
December 20, 2017
- Packing and moving items in existing building
- Steel Decking and exterior wall sheathing
- Setting up temporary heat & insulation
- Demo and abatement of existing building commences after the 1st of the year
- Roof installation
December 29, 2017
With the concerted effort these past few weeks – we are able to turn over the Science Building to C.D. Smith for the renovation today (12.29.17) at noon. Please note only authorized personnel will be able to enter the building after noon today. As a reminder, the parking lot behind the Mobile Units and HSC will be off limits until the project in complete.
According to C.D. Smith, despite the cold weather, we are on track with the new addition. We expect to time the building addition ‘weather enclosure’ and new concrete floors to coincide with the wrap-up of the abatement & demolition of the existing building – in four weeks. Beginning in February, then, the entire building will be built-out as one.
January 23, 2018
- Excellent progress on the new section on the building, with the exterior wall sheathing, air barriers, and completion of the steel studs on the exterior. The underfloor piping and underfloor are complete.
- With a little extra heat, they thawed the ground and started pouring the cement, initially on the 2nd floor and then moving to the 1st floor. Next week, the electrical rough in and interior steel studs will begin.
- The existing building demolition and disposal is moving along. The asbestos abatement is ongoing and the tile removal is proving to be a big job!
- We had an initial meeting with KI to review furniture and some fixture items (they also furnished the CHP building downtown).
- Please stop in the CD Smith Board Room to view the carpet and wall covering samples – when some sample furniture arrives we will let you know!
- Please walk around the Administration Building as some items were repurposed and a number of classrooms were on the second and third floors. The old board room (A109) was transformed into a classroom with more current technology.
- Over break, facilities also tackled a number of painting projects: HSC Hallways, Regina Hallways, Stayer Center Kitchen, and the Sadoff Gym interior doors
February 16, 2018
Sneak peek at the inside of the Dr. Richard and Leslie Ridenour Science Center (photos courtesy of CD Smith)
March 20, 2018
- Windows, Windows, Windows!!
- Go and check out the windows on the new addition that are almost all installed on the south side of the Dr. Richard and Leslie Ridenour Science Center and the amazing replacement windows on the existing building. Inside they are dry walling the interior of the 1st and 2nd floors of the addition.
- Stud walls, HVAC, and electrical are being installed in the existing area. We plan to finalize the FFE (Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment) in the next two weeks – please check out the blueprints on display near the breezeway in the administration building and chair and lab furniture examples on display in the CD Smith Board Room.
- Interior and exterior signage is also being reviewed!!
April 20, 2018
Science Building Project still on track – in spite of the weather!
- Progress is continuing with the new addition. We expect all the drywall to be installed on both floors in the next two weeks, then followed by the painters. The two floors of the existing building should have the plumbing, fire protection, and HVAC completed by the first week of May.
- They are installing the glass windows in the atrium in the interior the week of the 22nd.
- Weather permitting the exterior mason work should start next week!
- The new chiller and air handler will be delivered in the next week and then installed with the large crane. (Please note we will be sectioning off the north side of the building to have the crane have the proper placement to install the new units in the penthouse.)
- We plan to finalize the vendors for the furniture and signage by the end of this week (April 20). Please stop and look at the samples in the C.D. Smith Board Room at your convenience.
April 25, 2018
CD Smith Construction, Inc. is the builder on our Dr. Richard and Leslie Ridenour Science Center. They have been taking some drone footage of the renovation. You can see it all at this link: https://vimeo.com/265244128/001be6796a (All contents of this webpage are the sole possession of CD Smith Construction, Inc.)
May 18, 2018
- Due to the stormy weather and discovery of leaks in the existing structure, the build-out sequence has been changed to: New building first, 2nd floor west to east, then 1st floor, west to east. The existing building 2nd floor west to east, then 1st floor, west to east.
- The roof of the existing building is being replaced in the next few weeks. The progress in the new building is obvious- the labs are being painted, the case work is being delivered next week, and the install will begin!
- The floors are being polished and the install of interior lighting begins next week. The weather this week has been perfect for the mason work on the exterior on the south facing wall.
- Please plan accordingly for the electrical shutdown the week of June 11. The buildings being impacted are the Science Building, the Administration Building, and the Library. Generators will be on supporting the servers; this will not impact the other buildings on can off campus.
- The furniture has been ordered and is expected to be delivered and installed at the beginning of August.
June 19, 2018
- We are within budget and on schedule with all but the exterior fascia mason work. (Wisconsin is experiencing a shortage of skilled masons)
- This past week we experienced a disruption on the main campus due to the scheduled power outage for the building project. Most of the main campus was without power on Monday and the following buildings were without power through Thursday: Administration, Dorcas Chapel, Cardinal Meyer Library, Sadoff Gym, Mobile Units, Science Center, and the Stayer Center. We were able to relocate personnel across campus and utilize the Center for Health Professions and the Agnes Center. Thank you to all were you impacted by this outage and displacement for your patience, and all the support staff that helped with the temporary office set up and communication.
- The painting for the second floor of the new building is almost complete, along with all the casework for the labs. We expect the interior cleaning to begin at the end of July. Furniture will be delivered and installed the first week of August.
July 19, 2018
We are in the final weeks of the building project!
- Carpeting and lab case work installation continues, as well as painting. Plumbing and light fixtures are being installed. The new elevator passed inspection!
- Work continues on the interior and exterior signage, along with the Donor Wall layout. The AC chiller is being activated and tested. The AV/technology and lab furniture will be installed the first week of August.
- The week of August 13, classroom, office, and third-space furniture will be delivered and installed.
- The exterior siding is slightly behind schedule, along with the interior door and key installation. The restoration of the staging area will begin mid- August, along with landscaping.
- Tours will be offered to members of the Marian University community on Wednesday, August 22. More information to follow. Please note, only authorized personnel are currently allowed access for safety and scheduling issues.