Position Title: Academic Advisor (.90 FTE, 36 hours, 12-month)
Department: Center for Academic Support and Excellence
Reports To: Dean of Academic Advising and Academic Services
This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, providing academic advising functions to assist students, faculty, and staff, in coordination with the Dean of Academic Advising and Academic services.
- Possess knowledge of Institutional policies and procedures, guidelines, academic programs core curriculum requirement, student resources and educational opportunities through Marian University.
- Advise freshmen students and assist with transfer student registration.
- Assist faculty academic advisor with probation students and other assigned communication.
- Has knowledge of resources and educational opportunities available at Marian University.
- Provides students with information on policies, procedures, and programs of the University.
- Develops and updates admission booklets and brochures to explain the program to incoming students.
- Establishes individual and group appointments for inquiring students who request Information about the program.
- Assist students in the development of degree completion plans and maintains complete up-to-date accurate advising files on each of the students in a secure place.
- Assumes responsibility for student registration process for incoming students in coordination with Admission office, Registrar’s office, CASE office, and Academic Affairs.
- Counsel students on course selection and scheduling for pre-registration periods, and release advising holds on registration after student consultations.
- Responsible for gathering and maintaining admission, progression, and attrition data.
- Monitors progression of students through courses, addressing student problems as the present.
- Update program sheets and four-year plan
- Maintain liberal arts program sheet, core course requirement sheet, and specific course requirement for major for each advisee.
- Sends students timely communications to provide them with updated information about course registration, course progression, the program, scholarships and externships.
- Provide academic career assistance and resources.
- Schedule and meet with each advisee at least once per semester for approval of online registration and to ensure completion of necessary prerequisites.
- Communicates with advisees to facilitate the students’ educational needs.
- Attend all new student NSR dates to assist with course registration.
- Assists new students with the registration process at New Student Registration sessions and on an individual basis.
- Ensure transition of advising to the Program Chair of the student’s major upon student attaining sophomore status.
- Serve as a liaison for students as appropriate to instructors, programs, academic assistance, etc.
- Responds to inquiries regarding credit transfer, waivers, challenge examinations, CLEP exams, course validation and other concerns.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
- Maintains a positive work environment by cooperating in a professional manner with the University community.
- Participates in other college committees and activities, as needed.
- Represents program on advisement committee or related support committees as requested.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Holds a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a student personnel, counseling or higher Education field, Master’s preferred.
- Has a minimum of two to four years of full time work experience in a professional capacity.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships and team development.
- Organizational skills, interpersonal communication skills and public speaking experience.
- Willingness to support the Mission and Core Values of the College.
- Strong organizational, planning, written, listening and oral communication, interpersonal, computer and time management skills.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use ‘Academic Advisor’ in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.