|Position Title: ||Academic Advisor |
|FTE: ||1.0 |
|Department: ||Center for Academic Support and Excellence |
|Reports To: ||Director of Academic Advising and EXCEL |
|FLSA: ||Exempt |
| || |
This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, providing academic advising functions to assist students, faculty, and staff, in coordination with the Director of Academic Advising and EXCEL and the Dean of Student Success.
- Possess knowledge of Institutional policies and procedures, guidelines, academic programs, core curriculum requirement, student resources and educational opportunities through Marian University.
- Advise freshmen, transition/readmits, and transfer students with registration.
- Assist faculty academic advisor with probation students and other assigned communication.
- Has knowledge of resources and educational opportunities available at Marian University.
- Provides students with information on policies, procedures, and programs of the University.
- Develops and updates admission booklets and brochures to explain the program to incoming students.
- Establishes individual and group appointments for inquiring students who request information about the program.
- Assist students in the development of degree completion plans and maintains complete up-to-data accurate advising files on each of the students in a secure place.
- Assumes responsibility for student registration process for incoming students in coordination with Admission office, Registrar’s office, CASE office, and Academic Affairs.
- Assists in the registration process for all incoming transfer students, thus initiating the “one-stop” shop for Admissions, Academic Advising, and Registration.
- Develop and present workshops and presentations to assist in student success
- Develops, coordinates and implements Summer Bridge Program.
- Collaborates with the Admission Office with the recruitment and selection of EXCEL Program students.
- Counsel students on course selection and scheduling for pre-registration periods, and release advising holds on registration after student consultations.
- Responsible for gathering and maintaining admission, progression, and attrition data. Report concerned students to appropriate resources (Counseling, BIT, Retention committee).
- Monitors progression of students through courses, addressing student problems as the present.
- Update program sheets, including liberal arts, major and/or minor requirements.
- Sends students timely communications to provide them with updated information about course registration, course progression, the program, scholarships and externships.
- Provide academic career assistance and resources.
- Schedule and meet with each advisee at least three times per semester for approval of online registration and to ensure completion of necessary prerequisites.
- Communicates with advisees to facilitate the students’ educational needs.
- Attend all new student NSR, Admission Events, and Orientation dates to assist with course registration.
- Ensure transition of advising to the Program Chair of the student’s major upon student attaining sophomore status.
- Serve as a liaison for students as appropriate to instructors, programs, academic assistance, etc.
- Responds to inquiries regarding credit transfer, waivers, challenge examinations, CLEP exams, course validation and other concerns.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
- Maintains a positive work environment by cooperating in a professional manner with the University community.
- Participates in other college committees and activities, as needed.
- Represents program on advisement committee or related support committees as requested.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Holds a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a student personnel, counseling or higher Education field, Master’s preferred.
- Has a minimum of two to four years of full time work experience in a professional capacity.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships and team development.
- Organizational skills, interpersonal communication skills and public speaking experience.
- Willingness to support the Mission and Core Values of the College.
- Strong organizational, planning, written, listening and oral communication, interpersonal, computer and time management skills.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use ‘Academic Advisor’ in the subject line of the email.
Applications received by September 16, 2021 will receive full consideration. Review of applications will continue, thereafter, until the position is filled.
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.