Academic Advisor for Adult and Online Studies
Position Title: Academic Advisor for Adult and Online Studies (Full-time, Regular)
Department: Adult and Online Studies
Reports To: Director of Adult and Online Studies
This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by fulfilling responsibilities as an academic advisor for new and continuing undergraduate and graduate students in online programs. The Academic Advisor for Adult and Online Studies is accountable to the Director of Adult and Online Studies, and collaborates with faculty and other advisors in all matters relating to advising for new and continuing undergraduate and graduate students in online programs. The Academic Advisor for Adult and Online Studies has the authority delegated by the Director of Adult and Online Studies.
- Possess Knowledge of institutional policies and procedures, guidelines, academic programs, core curriculum requirements, student resources and educational opportunities through Marian University.
- Bases academic advisement on policies, procedures, publications, personnel, and services of the University.
- Serves as advisement liaison Adult and Online Studies, in consultation with the Director of Adult and Online Studies, Registration personnel, and Academic Support personnel.
- Collaborates with internal and external bodies to communicate specifics of Adult and Online Studies programs to the public and appropriate outside agencies.
- Creates co-curricular resources for students and revises student resource materials for congruence with curricula and policies.
- Maintains up-to-date advising files on each of the students enrolled in Adult and Online Studies programs to track progression with power campus and administrative assistance.
- Reviews policies and procedures with the Director, Undergraduate Program Chairs, Admission’s Office, and Academic Support Services.
- Submits updates for Student Handbook and other associated documents on annual basis.
- Promotes Marian University and Adult and Online Studies Programs to prospective
faculty and students, and forwards interest generated for appropriate follow-up.
- Works as advocate for Adult and Online Studies students.
- Responds to inquiries regarding credit transfer, waivers, challenge examinations, CLEP exams, course validation, and other concerns for Adult and Online Studies students
- Provides students with information on policies, procedures, and programs of the University.
- Communicates with advisees to facilitate the students’ educational needs.
- Monitors progression of students through courses, addressing student problems as they present.
- Maintains a complete, up-to-date accurate electronic file on each advisee in a secure place.
- Sends students timely communications to provide them with updated information about course registration, course progression, the program, scholarships and externships.
- Develops, updates, and communicates appropriate information regarding student enrollment problems, and related concerns.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Adult and Online Studies
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Holds a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a student personnel, counseling, higher education field, or other related field.
- Has a minimum of five years’ experience (half to full-time employment) in a professional capacity.
- Possesses skills in organization, writing, interpersonal communication, and public speaking.
- Works independently and interdependently. Develops effective working relationships demonstrating team-work and leadership
- There must be willingness to support the Mission and Core Values of the University.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use ‘Academic Advisor for Adult and Online Studies’ in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: January 17, 2020 at 4:30pm
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment