Appeals are available to both the reporting party and the responding party through the appropriate appeals process. The appeal will be reviewed by the Title IX Coordinator-504/ADA Compliance Officer to determine if the appeal meets the established grounds for appeal. Appeals must be submitted to the Title IX Coordinator-504/ADA Compliance Officer within two (2) business days of notification of findings. The grounds for appeal are defined as:
- A procedural error occurred that significantly impacted the outcome of the investigation (e.g. substantiated bias, material deviation from established procedures, etc.);
- To consider new evidence, unavailable during the investigation, that could substantially impact the original finding or sanction. A summary of this new evidence and its potential impact must be included; and
- The sanctions imposed are substantially outside the parameters or guidelines set by Marian University for this type of offense or the cumulative conduct record of the responding individual.
Appeals are managed through the appropriate university channels:
- Student appeals are managed by the Director of Human Resources/Deputy Title IX Coordinator.
- Faculty and staff appeals are managed by the Dean of Students/Deputy Title IX Coordinator.
Appeal forms are available from the Title IX Coordinator or through the Office of Student Life.