Credit by Examination
Marian University recognizes that learning may take place outside a classroom setting and will grant up to 30 undergraduate credits for learning demonstrated through direct assessment (examination). Recognized assessments include:
- Advanced Placement (score of 3 or better)
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)
Students must demonstrate that they meet or exceed the standard for college-level learning in order to receive credit by examination.
*Students can apply a total of 30 credits of any combination of credit by examination or experiential learning credit toward the undergraduate degree.
Considerations for the award of credit include:
- The educational quality of the learning experience, validated through direct assessment via recognized examination processes;
- The comparability of the nature, content, and level of the learning experience to that offered by Marian University; and
- The appropriateness and applicability of the learning experience to the programs offered by Marian University, in light of the student’s educational goals.
Admissions counselors work with students in the admission process to identify and appropriately award credit for prior learning demonstrated through AP, CLEP, and/or DSST examinations taken prior to applying to Marian University. Once enrolled, students are encouraged to work with the Coordinator of Academic Testing to identify college-level learning that could be demonstrated through CLEP and DSST examination.
For more information regarding credit by examination, please contact the CASE Office at email@example.com or 920.923.8097.