To receive the Master of Science in Thanatology, students must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of coursework with a minimum GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale)
- Submission and approval of the final capstone project
THA 605 Foundations of Thanatology, 3 cr.
THA 615 Bereavement Theory and Practice, 3 cr.
THA 625 Theological Perspectives in Thanatology, 3 cr.
THA 630 Thanatology Research Methods, 3 cr.
THA 640 Applied Ethics and the End of Life, 3 cr.
THA 795 Applied Thanatology Capstone, 3 cr.
18 credits from the following:
THA 705 Death in the Lives of Children and Teens, 3 cr.
THA 710 Understanding Suicide, 3 cr.
THA 715 Bereavement after Unnatural Death, 3 cr.
THA 720 Children, Teens, and Suicide, 3 cr.
THA 725 Bereavement Program Development, 3 cr.
THA 730 Suicide Prevention and Postvention, 3 cr.
THA 735 Palliative and Hospice Care, 3 cr.
THA 745 Spiritual Formation and Thanatology, 3 cr.
THA 755 Death and the Literary Imagination, 3 cr.
For more details regarding this program, view Marian’s Academic Bulletin.
To be considered for admission into the Master of Science in Thanatology, the applicant must submit the following:
- A completed Marian University application form
- A $50 non-refundable application fee or apply online for free at www.marianuniversity.edu/apply/
- An official transcript from each college or university attended; Applicants must have an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. Students may be considered for admission on a probationary status with less than a 2.75 GPA
- Two confidential recommendation forms or letters of recommendation
- Career goal statement
Transfer of Credit Policy
Students can transfer up to 9 credits into the graduate program; each possible transferrable course is reviewed individually. Each course must be less than 7 years old.
To apply for the Masters of Science in Thanatology, use the Admissions Checklist. This document will guide you through the process and ensure that you have submitted all of the necessary materials.
The Thanatology Recommendation form is for your use.