POSTING: December 26, 2012
POSITION: Dean - School of Education (Regular, Full-time)
DEPARTMENT: School of Education
REPORTS TO: Executive Vice-President of Academic and Student Affairs
JOB SUMMARY: As part of the University's administrative team, the Dean leads the faculty and staff in the School of Education, which consists of BS, MAE degree programs, and a Ph.D. degree in Educational Administration and Leadership Studies. Departments in the School of Education include: Teacher Education, Educational Technology, and Leadership Studies. The School of Education also operates an Early Childhood Center and manages the Institute of Professional Development and Virtual Learning. The Dean also serves as the school's representative to K-12 educators and leaders, state-level agencies, and the broader community of educators.
The Dean will lead the development of a vision for the school to ensure that the school's programs are relevant and sustainable, and provide a quality educational experience for students.
The dean will demonstrate innovative leadership by:
- Ensuring programs within the school are excellent, relevant, transformative, and viable for the future.
- Staying abreast of environments that affect theschool's academic offerings.
- Facilitating relationships in the internal andexternal environments that lend themselves to creative opportunities for students and faculty.
- Advancing existing and new programs through collaboration with faculty and enrollment management at the appropriate level.
- Overseeing instructional quality in the School's offerings in Marian's Adult and Graduate Studies (AGS) unit and ensuring coordination of AGS curriculum with the traditional program.
- Taking action to meet the standards of external accrediting bodies, as needed.
The dean will demonstrate administrative leadership by:
- Ensuring effective planning and assessment in all programs in collaboration with the School's leadership team.
- Conducting regular meetings with School's leadership team and faculty members when appropriate to keep informed about successes, challenges and initiatives.
- Attending administrative meetings at the University level appropriate to the office of the Dean.
- Supporting the policies and procedures as described in the various handbooks of Marian University.
- Expanding and diversifying funding sources in collaboration with Institutional Advancement through external and internal avenues.
- Developing and administering a budget that supports and aligns with the goals and objectives of the School and University.
The dean will demonstrate professional leadership by:
- Developing communication networks among the Deans of other Marian University Schools, University Administrators and external educational institutions where appropriate.
- Working in a collaborative manner with Deans of other Marian University Schools, University Administrators and external educators where appropriate.
- Supporting/planning of the on-going development of Chairs, Program Directors, staff and faculty, including faculty evaluation and feedback to faculty on performance.
- Participating in opportunities that enhance personal leadership development.
- Supporting a scholarly and research-oriented environment in the School.
- Supporting scholarship/research through his/her own scholarly/research activities.
- Maintaining a positive work environment by cooperating in a professional manner with the University Community.
The dean will demonstrate leadership commitment to inclusiveness and diversity by:
- Developing relationships and interaction among the University's various internal and external constituents that represent diversity.
- Creating a culture of exchange and collaboration through seeking partnerships with diverse groups in a multicultural and global community.
- Practicing positive and equitable practices in talent identification, management, development and retention of faculty, students, and staff.
Earned doctorate or other terminal degree. Minimum of three years of PK-12 teaching experience. Administrative experience in higher education. Experience with program development and budget development. Effective communication and interpersonal skills. Familiar with licensing and accreditation processes. Collaborative approach to decision making and problem solving. Willingness to support the Mission and Core Values of Marian.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin February 18, 2013, and continue until the position is filled. For consideration, please click here and submit a letter of interest, current resume, and name, address, and telephone number of three references.
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership.
Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice and joined together by spiritual traditions
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Strongly Committed to Diversity
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.