Interlibrary Loan Policy
The Interlibrary Loan service provides materials needed for academic research. The service is available to Marian University students, faculty, administration and staff, and members of the Congregation of Sisters of St. Agnes who have a valid Marian ID and are free of overdue materials and fines. Please allow enough time in your research process to receive interlibrary materials. Materials coming from Wisconsin libraries usually arrive within a week.
Materials available through Interlibrary Loan:
- Books not owned by Cardinal Meyer Library.
- Journal articles not held by Cardinal Meyer Library.
Materials not available through Interlibrary Loan:
- Books owned by Cardinal Meyer Library.*
- Journals owned by Cardinal Meyer Library.*
- Rare books.
- Most videos and other av materials.
- Entire volumes of journals.
- Most Audiovisual Materials.
- Textbooks, because they are needed for the entire semester, are normally not available via Interlibrary Loan.
* Outreach students — i.e. students taking all of their classes at an outreach site — may request books and journal articles owned by the Cardinal Meyer Library.
Library staff will try to obtain copies of dissertations. Many libraries do not loan dissertations because the number of copies available is limited. Libraries that lend dissertations often charge. If a fee is required, the borrower may choose to pay the fee or cancel the request. The request will not be submitted until the borrower agrees to pay the fee.
Full text electronic copies of dissertations published from 1997 forward are available free of charge to Marian University students and faculty via ProQuest Dissertations and Theses — Full Text. Patrons who require copies of older dissertations may order their own unbound copies of dissertations and theses via PQDT. The order may be placed online using a credit card, or patrons may print the online order form and send it to ProQuest Information and Learning.
- Submit a book request 24/7 from any location via WorldCat.
- Request forms are available at the library circulation desk and should be filled out in full.
- From off campus, requests may be submitted electronically using the forms on the library Web page.
- Book Request Form
- Article Request Form
Please check the online catalog, SabreCat, before requesting a book. Patrons may place a hold on items that are currently checked out. Contact the Circulation Desk if you wish to have an item recalled.
Please check Journals A to Z before requesting articles that may be available in the library's print or electronic collection.
Picking up materials
- You will be notified when your materials arrive.
- Materials should be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
- Materials will be mailed to students attending classes at outreach sites or delivered to the site.
- The loan period for a book, determined by the lending library, is generally two to four weeks.
- The lending library is free to recall the book at any time. Recalled books must be returned immediately.
- Books should be returned by the due date to a library staff member at the Circulation Desk. Do not place them in the book return.
- Outreach students are responsible for returning books insured via U.S. mail or UPS.
- Periodical articles are received as photocopies and should not be returned.
- Fines/Fees will be charged for overdue books or for replacing lost books. The lending library may assess additional fines/fees which are the responsibility of the patron.
- Failure to return books to a lending library on time jeopardizes our ability to continue borrowing from that institution.
- Failure to return interlibrary loan materials or pay fines/fees on overdue/lost materials will result in the revocation of library privileges.